Snooker has always been popular in the UK and the Commonwealth. But right now it has transformed into a global phenomenon. The sport’s rising popularity in Asia and mainland Europe might have stripped snooker of its traditional blue-collar nature, but it became the best-paying billiards discipline by quite a margin. Top players, like Ronnie O’Sullivan and Mark Selby are absolute stars and this popularity is reflected in snooker betting which is more popular than ever.
In this article, we will walk you through the basics of betting on snooker, explain the most popular markets, show you the most important tournaments and competitions, and give you handy tips to start your snooker betting journey.
Before we dive into the actual markets, let’s talk about snooker itself. The game is played by two players on a snooker table with six pockets, 15 red balls and 6 different coloured balls. Players have to use a white cue ball to pocket the other 22 snooker balls in the correct order and score points. As you might see, there are major differences in comparison to the more traditional 8-ball pool. But don’t feel intimidated. Snooker is easy to grasp.
In order to be successful when betting on snooker matches and tournaments, it is important to understand snooker and its rules. The main differences to 8-ball pool are:
• A snooker table is larger than an 8-ball pool table, with snooker balls ranging between 2 1/16 and 2 1/4 inches in diameter.
• 15 red snooker balls are used instead of the 15 used in 8-ball pool.
• When snooker is played in tournaments, it is usually done so on a best-of-frames basis instead of the traditional race to nine format used in 8-ball pool.
• Snooker matches are usually over much longer periods than 8-ball pool, with some snooker tournaments lasting several days or even weeks.
Now that you have a basic understanding of snooker, let’s move on to the betting aspect of things. The market is more diverse than ever before, with some of the best snooker betting sites offer options across all major tournaments and competitions.
• Match bets: the most popular snooker betting market, match betting involves two players competing for a win. You can place bets on either player to win, or bet on the draw.
• Outright winner: this market allows you to bet on who will win an entire tournament or competition prior to it beginning.
• Handicaps: snooker handicaps allow the bookmaker to adjust the odds for certain players, and make a snooker match more even.
• Frame winner: betting on frame winners allows you to bet on who will win each individual snooker frame within a snooker match.
• Highest Break: wagering on the highest break allows you to bet on who will make the highest snooker break during a snooker match.
These are just some of the snooker wagering markets available, with many more offered by bookmakers across the UK and Europe. However, it is important to remember that snooker betting is speculative in nature and results can never be guaranteed.
Betting on snooker is available across many snooker tournaments and competitions, with some of the most popular snooker events including:
• The World Snooker Championship: held annually since 1927, this tournament sees snooker’s top players compete for snooker’s most prestigious title.
• The Masters: the snooker world’s second major snooker tournament, held in London since 1975.
• UK Championship: betting on this tournament has been around since 1977 and is one of snooker’s oldest tournaments.
• The Northern Ireland Open: betting on this tournament has been around since 2011 and is one of snooker’s most popular events.
• Shanghai Masters: betting on this tournament has been available at bookmakers since 2009 and is one of snooker’s premier events.
Betting on snooker should be done responsibly and within your means. Here are some tips to consider:
• Never bet more than you can afford to lose
• Do your research – familiarizing yourself with snooker players, snooker tournaments and markets is essential for success
• Set yourself snooker betting limits – setting snooker betting limits keeps snooker betting fun and prevents snooker betting from becoming problematic
• Snooker is an ideal sport to use your best bet bonus
• Shop around for snooker betting odds – snooker betting odds vary between bookmakers, so make sure to compare prices before placing snooker bets
Snooker betting is a great way to add an extra dimension of excitement to snooker tournaments and competitions. With the snooker betting markets ever-growing, snooker betting has never been easier or more accessible. Make sure to keep these snooker betting tips in mind before placing your snooker bets and snooker betting can be an exciting and rewarding experience. Good luck!
DATA PROTECTION REGULATION